Social media has become a prominent force for connecting people across the world. Marketers are catching onto this trend and now use these networks to advance their company’s goals. Here are the three aspects indicating why social media is here to stay.
Social Media use has grown steadily over the last few yearsIn the last five years, consumers and marketers have both increased their use of social networks.
- 18 million Twitter users in 2009, 302 million current users
- In 2009, 17% of time online was spent on social media, now it is 28%
- A majority of marketers were involved in social media marketing for a few months or less, in 2015 it is down to 22%
- 56% of companies in 2010 used social media for 6 hours or more, 64% now fit this category
Social Media has real effects on companies and exposureCompanies recognize how valuable social media can be in promoting their brand, gaining attention, and improving sales. Oreo cookie made a splash with their "daily twist" campaign.
- Oreo daily twist campaign made 100 facebook posts in 100 days relating to current events
- 231 million media impressions created from 2,600 articles
- Gained 1 million fans on Facebook
- Increased share rate by 280%
- Each post shared an average of 1,472 times
- In 45 days, 15,000 new names created from over 20,000 users
- 1 million dollars in media exposure created
- 100 million online impressions
- 10% increase in sales